Reading Programs and Activities
Reading Inspires Lifelong Learning!
We want to keep adults, teens, and kids engaged in reading throughout their life. We offer reading programs and challenges designed to encourage reading and make it fun!
You can participate in our reading programs through Beanstack, which is our free online service that offers book and activity logging.
Show us how much you love to read by participating in one of our programs!
READY TO START A READING PROGRAM?
Read Beyond Your Horizons Genre Challenge
August 15 through September 30
Challenge yourself to read beyond your horizons! Stretch your reading skills and explore books of different genres. Expanding what you read can spark your imagination and strengthen your reading comprehension! Read different types of books and answer questions to earn badges.
How to participate
1. Sign up for the Read Beyond Your Horizons Genre Challenge using the Beanstack app, online at gadml.beanstack.org, or in person at the Reference Desk.
2. Read a book from one of these genres: Biography, Fantasy, Free Choice, Historical Fiction, Informational, Mystery, Poetry, Realistic Fiction, Science Fiction, and Traditional Literature (Fairy Tales, Folktales, and Myths).
3. Visit the "Log Reading and Activities" area of Beanstack and select "Activity."
4. Select the genre you read and answer the activity questions to earn its badge.
5. Repeat until you've read a book from each genre in the challenge.
Each activity badge you earn will earn a drawing entry — plus a bonus entry if you complete them all! After the challenge ends, three kids (birth-grade 3), three tweens/teens (grades 4-12), and three adults will each win a $10 gift card to a local business!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
It is never too early to start your little one on the road to reading! The “1000 books Before Kindergarten” program encourages you to spend time sharing books with your little ones while building critical early literacy skills before he or she starts school. Start your child’s journey today. Simply register in Beanstack and enroll in “1000 books Before Kindergarten!”
Beanstack is a free online service that offers an innovative new way to connect children and their families with books and educational reading activities that match each person’s interests, ages and reading level. It also includes book and activity logging, badges and registration for all members of the family under one account.